Navigate the Oakley Pages using the links below

   Oakley home page:

  Worship

  What's On

  - Regular Mtgs
  - Events

  People   How to Find Us   Bookings   Brief History   Info for Preachers

Brief History of the Church

The Early Days - the 1860's

For some time prior to 1866 the Methodists of East Oakley had been holding meetings in one of the cottages on the south side of Hill road, now known as Hunter's Moon.

A Mr Blackburn owned a pair of cottages called Railway Croft (now called "Allan's Folley") together with a small adjoining piece of land which was between the cottages and Hill Road.

In March 1866 Mr Blackburn agreed to sell this small plot of land to the East Oakley Primitive Methodists for the sum of £5. Work was commenced immediately on building a new chapel and the first service was held on 3rd June 1866; by the autumn of that year the Sunday School was started.

afollyw1

Allan's Folley & the church in 1999